If you’re a fan of Filipino food, you should know about this unique stew. It’s called balbacua and it’s a delicious recipe that’s a must try for any true Filipino cook! Additionally, read more on this Balbacua Recipe.
Also, this stew is a combination of beef skin, oxtail, and saba bananas simmered in a tomato, peanut butter, and black bean sauce. It’s a dish that captures the bold flavors of Filipino cuisine! Balbacua is a Cebuano recipe that has become popular all over the Visayas region. Its savory taste is the result of its use of collagen-rich parts of beef, including oxtail and skin, knuckles, and other cartilaginous cuts.
- 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 1 lb. oxtail, cut into pieces
- 1 banana blossom, sliced and soaked in water with vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. annatto seeds
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and tied in a knot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add beef and oxtail and cook until browned.
- Add water, beef broth, annatto seeds, paprika, black pepper, salt, lemongrass, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add banana blossom to the pot and let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix peanut butter, glutinous rice flour, water, and oil until well combined.
- Add the mixture to the pot and stir until the soup thickens.
- Serve hot with rice.
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cooking Time: 4 hours | Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Kcal: 481 kcal | Servings: 8 servings
#beefstew #oxtail #bananablossom #slowcooker #comfortfood #hearty #filipinofood #soup #peanutbutter #glutinousriceflour #lemongrass #bayleaf #annattoseeds
Furthermore, check some of them out on the front page. Also, check out Meditation Bro's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.